Monday, January 4, 2016

Red Beans with Kohlrabi Greens and Roasted Kohlrabi

Kohlrabi is not normally on a Southern boy's menu.  We tried some in our early Fall garden and liked it so I put out 8 plants for the late Fall garden.  Two of them were ready to harvest the other day and since there is nothing quite as good as eating something straight from the garden we had them for supper.


Kohlrabi is related to cabbage and as such the leaves can be eaten as well as the bulb.  I wanted to use the greens as well as the bulb for supper.  I also wanted to try something different with the kohlrabi than I did earlier in the year.  Previously I'd made fritters and a slaw with the kohlrabi so I figured roasted was the next thing to try. 


The greens I wanted to cook and I was wanting to cook some more dried beans in the pressure cooker so the red beans and kohlrabi greens came to mind.  I will have to say that this dish turned out to be very good.


Red Beans with Kohlrabi Greens


1 cup dried small red beans
Greens from two kohlrabi, stems removed
4 oz bacon, slab is best
1 medium onion, diced
1 cup chicken broth
3 cups water
1 tsp roasted ground cumin
2 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper


Dice bacon in 1/4 inch cuts.  If using sliced bacon cut in 1/2 inch pieces.  Put in pressure cooker and start to brown.  Add diced onion and cook until it starts to turn translucent.  Turn off heat.  Add everything else except the kohlrabi greens.  Set pressure cooker to 20 minutes.  Once the timer goes off release the steam.  Taste the broth and adjust seasoning if needed.  Stir in the kohlrabi greens and set the pressure cooker to 10 minutes.  Release the pressure once the timer goes off.  Serve in a bowl to get the good broth.


I used some ends and pieces of bacon from the last batch of bacon I smoked and sliced.  I only used 1 cup of chicken broth because that is what I had in the refrigerator.  I think using the broth gave a greater depth of flavor over using just water for the beans.


Roasted Kohlrabi


1  kohlrabi per person
olive oil
salt
pepper


Peel the kohlrabi and cut into 1/2 inch cubes.  Put the cubes in a bowl and drizzle with olive oil, salt, and pepper.  Toss to coat.  Dump kohlrabi onto baking sheet and put in a 400F oven for 20 minutes.  Remove from oven and toss then return to oven for 10 more minutes.


A most excellent supper
We had butter fried pork chops with a pan sauce since I'd processed a pork loin the day before.  The pork chops are super easy.  Let the pork chops come to room temperature.  Season with salt and pepper while they warm.   Melt 2 - 3 Tbs butter in a skillet.  Once the butter starts to bubble add the pork chops.  Fry for about 4 minutes until browned on the bottom.  Turn the chops and fry for another 3 - 4 minutes.  Move pork chops to the plates.  To the pan drippings add 1 - 2 oz whiskey or brandy and allow alcohol to cook off.  Simmer until the sauce is reduced by half and spoon over the pork chops.


As you can see, we're really liking the pressure cooker.  I think it is a great investment for our kitchen.  I'll be posting more recipes from the pressure cooker for sure. 


Give these recipes a try sometime and I believe you'll enjoy them.  After you make them let me know what you think. 


Uncle T

No comments:

Post a Comment