Tuesday, July 10, 2018

Tomato Pasta Ravioli with Italian Sausage Meatballs

I've made tomato pasta before to use as noodles but this time I saved some leftover pasta to make ravioli on the second night.  Here is the recipe for tomato pasta

I made the ravioli using Fantes Grandpa Dante's Ravioli Maker that is available here on Amazon.   The pasta was rolled out to the 5 thickness on the KitchenAid pasta roller.  A #100 portion scoop is a good size to use to fill the ravioli.

The filling for the ravioli is one I came up with some time back when I ran short of another filling and had a couple of empty ravioli shells left.  This filling is a mix of Greek yogurt and grated Parmesan cheese.  I use a 50/50 mix for my filling.  My base recipe is 1/2 cup each which should fill two dozen ravioli at least.  To make more it's easy enough to make as little or as much as you need using this ratio.

The meatballs that went with this dish are made from hot Italian sausage made it Uncle T's kitchen.  If you don't want to make sausage you can use any Italian sausage you choose.  I prefer hot Italian sausage for this dish but I imagine a sweet Italian sausage would be good if that is your preference.  I make the meatballs by using my #100 portion scoop.  Melt a some butter in a large skillet and add the meatballs.  Cook them until they are browned on all sides.
A skillet full of ready to serve goodness
To make the white wine butter sauce add three or four more tablespoons of butter to the skillet with the meatballs and when melted and bubbling add 1/2 to 3/4 cup of white wine.  It's always best to use a wine you enjoy drinking.  This time I used a sauvignon blanc.  By the time the wine has cooked down a bit the ravioli should be done and can be added to the skillet.  Don't bother draining the ravioli as you take it out of the pot.  The starches in the pasta water should help the sauce to thicken.  If it doesn't get as thick as you want mix a little corn starch and water then add it to the sauce and stir until it thickens.  Give the ravioli and the meatballs a good mix to get them well coated with the sauce and serve.
Plated up and ready to eat
Once you plate the ravioli and meatballs spoon a little sauce over them.  You can add a bit of grated Parmesan cheese over the top but it isn't really needed.

Give this this one a try and let me know what you think.  Remember, have fun in the kitchen.

Uncle T


No comments:

Post a Comment