Friday, April 24, 2015

Smoked Bacon Onion Rings with Roasted Parmesan Brussels Sprouts

With Spring here and Summer approaching, I thought I'd bring back something I made last summer.  Mainly I'm talking about the Smoked Bacon Onion Rings.

I've seen variations of this online so I did them to suit us, as usual.

This only requires two or three ingredients.

White onion(s)
Bacon, of your choice
Sriracha sauce, optional

To start, peel the onion(s) and cut in 1/2 to 3/4 inch slices.  Take the slices apart but leave 2 layers per ring.  You want to have plenty of onion in there.

Once you have your onion rings, start wrapping bacon around the ring.  Use as many slices as you need to get full coverage.  If you want to spice things up, dip the onion ring in Sriracha sauce before you wrap the bacon.



Once you are done with that, into the smoker they go.  I smoked these for about an hour and a half at 190 - 210 degrees.  Halfway through I rotated positions of the rings so they'd get equal smoke and heat.  They were done on the Weber using a 2 zone smoking set up.  The grill I have is what has evolved into the Weber Performer Premium. 

They don't look  bad if I do say so myself.  The ones on the right, in both pictures, are the ones with Sriracha sauce.



So, what to have with them?  We decided on Brussels Sprouts, since the good wife really likes them.

Roasted Parmesan Brussels Sprouts

Ingredients:
1 lb Brussels Sprouts
olive oil
salt
pepper
Parmesan cheese, grated, about 1/2 cup

Trim the sprouts and cut them in half.  To make things go faster, steam them until tender.  Once they are tender transfer them to a bowl.  Pour olive oil over them and season with salt and pepper.  Gently toss or stir to get the oil and seasoning evenly distributed.  Put them on a baking sheet and sprinkle with the grated Parmesan cheese.  Bake in a 350 degree oven for 20 - 25 minutes until the cheese is melted and starting to brown.  Take out of the oven and serve.


This is not a fast meal by any means, but it is wonderful for the weekend.  I'd also point out that any left over Smoked Bacon Onion Rings reheat well so make plenty.

I hope you give these a try this summer.

Uncle T



 

No comments:

Post a Comment