Tuesday, April 14, 2015

Producing Peppers

I'll say up front, we like hot foods.  Our garden is a great place to grow hot peppers.  As a result we produce an abundance of whatever variety we grow.  I always have Jalapeno peppers and add some hotter varieties if possible.  We have a great nursery close by that has a good selection of peppers and other fruits and vegetables for the garden.  This year I am only growing Jalapenos because we have so many of the others dried and stored from last year.  I've given away both fresh and dried peppers to friends both locally and across the country and still have plenty.



This basket holds a light harvest of a variety of peppers.  There are 8 varieties of hot peppers here.  They are Jalapeno, Kung Pao, Serrano, Thai Dragon, Super Chili, Caribbean Red, Trinidad Scorpion, and Bhut Jalokia (Ghost pepper).  The Super Chili is a hybrid that I've only seen at McDonald's nursery but it is flavorful and has good heat.






 Given the large supply of fresh peppers and liking to experiment in the kitchen it was only natural that I play around with hot sauces.   I have come up with 3 good recipes, Habanero Sauce, Mean Green Sauce, and Devil Sauce.  I know I said we like hot foods but heat for heat's sake seems wasteful to us.  There needs to be flavor to go with the heat.  These three sauces have heat but also let the flavor of the fruit come through.  They've gotten good reviews from all who have tried them.  The plan is for them to serve as the basis for a small business so I'll not be giving out my recipes.

If things go as planned, expect to see  Uncle T's Mean Green, Uncle T's Habanero, and Uncle T's Devil Sauce available here locally and via mail order in the next couple of years.  Who knows, I may have additional varieties by then.  If so, you'll have heard about it already.



No comments:

Post a Comment