Tuesday, July 10, 2018

Roasted Butternut Squash Ravioli with Shrimp in a White Wine Butter Sauce

I know I've done pasta posts but this is a bit different.  Some time back, I gave away my hand cranked pasta roller because we came across a good deal on the pasta roller attachment to the KitchenAid stand mixer.  This was the first time I've made pasta since buying that roller.  I must say, having two hands to work the pasta dough and being able to adjust the thickness knob on the fly make a huge difference.  As an extra, the grandbaby liked watching me run the dough through the roller.


I used my usual pasta recipe for the ravioli since I've found no need to try another.  To form the ravioli I used my Fantes Grandpa Dante's Ravioli Maker to make the ravioli.  I can recommend this ravioli maker without reservation. 
Ravioli filled and ready to cover
Besides the pasta, you'll need some roasted butternut squash.  In case you've never roasted butternut squash I'll include how I do it.  Cut the squash into 1/2 - 3/4 inch rounds.  Cut the rounds in half.  The skin can now be easily cut from the half round.  Cut the half round in half again cutting parallel to the initial cut.  Cut those pieces into cubes that are approximately the same size on all sides.  Put in a bowl until the whole squash is cubed.  Drizzle with olive oil and toss.  Add salt and pepper and toss.  Dump onto a baking sheet and spread out then place in a pre-heated 425F oven.  Cook for 20 minutes.  Remove from oven and turn the squash cubes.  Return pan of squash to the oven and cook another 10 minutes or until the desired degree of caramelization is achieved.  Remove from oven and  serve.

Boil in salted water
I used left over roasted butternut squash to make the ravioli.  I only had about a cup or so left over.  I warmed them up and mashed with a fork and called it good.  I used a slightly under filled #70 portion dipper to fill the ravioli.  I've since bought a #100 to be able to fill the ravioli without having to estimate the fill with the #70.
All sauced up and ready to serve
I rolled the pasta dough out to the #5 thickness with the KitchenAid pasta roller.  I didn't want to get too thin and risk the ravioli breaking.  Next time I think I'll go to #6 on the thickness to make the ravioli a bit lighter.  What seemed to work best was to roll out the two sheets for the top and bottom of the ravioli before starting to make it.  The first batch I rolled out the bottom sheet and put it on the form then rolled out the top.  Once the bottom sheet is on the ravioli form, use the mold to push down and form the pocket.  Put in the filling, making sure to not get it on the edges of the ravioli.  Place the top sheet of pasta over the form and press down.  Then roll over the form with a rolling pin to seal the ravioli and cut through the pasta.  Turn the form upside down over a lightly floured sheet pan and gently push the ravioli out of the form.  Add the ravioli to boiling water and cook about 5 minutes.
Plated up ready to eat
The shrimp and white wine butter sauce is fairly simple.  I used 36-41 size shrimp because that is what I had in the freezer.  Once thawed, I removed the tails and did a dry brine with a mix of salt and sugar for about 10 minutes.  Melt 4 Tbs of butter is a large skillet and add the shrimp.  Once the shrimp are half done, turn then add the white wine.  I eye balled it but used about 1/2 cup of white wine.  Once the wine has cooked down and the shrimp are done add another 2 - 3 Tbs of butter and add the ravioli.  Stir/toss the ravioli into the shrimp and the sauce and cook until the sauce thickens a bit.  The flour in the pasta water should help this.  If it doesn't thicken to your satisfaction you can use a little corn starch mixed in water to thicken the sauce.  Plate the ravioli with some shrimp and the white wine butter sauce and grate or shave some Parmesan cheese over the top.  Some crusty bread or a light salad is all you need to accompany this for a good meal.
A nicely filled ravioli
Give this a try and let me know what you think.


Uncle T











No comments:

Post a Comment