Wednesday, July 25, 2018

Pan Fried Salmon

Salmon is touted as a fish containing healthy fats in quantities not found in most other sources of protein.  I just see it as a tasty fish that you can use in many ways.  This is about my preferred way of preparing it.

I don't remember where I found the idea for this as it was over 10 years ago.  I've not been able to find it since then so I can't give credit where's it due.  Oh well.  One of the problems I have with most pan fried salmon recipes is the fact that they use marinades and lots of ingredients that mask the flavor of the salmon.  I know that's what most chefs do but I'm not a chef and I believe that many times treating a primary ingredient simply is the best way to go.  All it takes to make this salmon and have crispy skin is 4 ingredients, a skillet, and just a little bit of time.

The first step is to let the salmon warm up to close to room temperature and dry all sides.  I know most videos and TV chefs use paper towels but a regular towel will work and it what I usually use.
Salmon fillets dried and ready to go.
Step two is to smear some of the softened butter on the skin side and then sprinkle salt on that side.
Coated with butter and ready for the skillet.
Step three is put your skillet on an eye set at medium to medium-high and let it get hot.  When it is hot, put the salmon in the skillet skin side down.  Don't touch it until the cook line is about halfway up the side of the fillet.

Step four, season the flesh side with salt and pepper.
Seasoned on the flesh side and almost ready to flip.
Step five is flip the salmon once the cook line is about halfway up the side of the fillet.  Leave it until the cook lines meet or almost meet depending on how done you like your salmon.

Note the nicely done crispy skin.  Fillets almost done.
Step six is serve and enjoy.

An excellent supper
The supper we had this evening was the pan fried salmon fillet, carrots sautéed in butter, and a broccoli and rice dish made with a homemade cream of mushroom soup.  Basically it is a broccoli and rice casserole just using homemade ingredients so use your favorite recipe.

An alternative way of serving is to make a pan sauce to pour over the salmon.  Using the butter and juices left in the skillet, add 1/4 - 1/3 cup of whiskey and let it cook down and slightly thicken.  Spoon the sauce over the salmon and enjoy.

Give this method of cooking salmon a try and see how you like it.  Let me know what you think.

Uncle T










No comments:

Post a Comment