Wednesday, January 16, 2019

Scalloped Potato Stacks

It's been quite some time since I've written anything.  Life and other projects demanding too much time it seems.

I'd been considering taking scalloped potatoes to our Civic League's Christmas party and looking around to see if there were any interesting variations to try.  I saw a mention somewhere of stacks so when it came time to do our Christmas dinner I decided to make potato stacks.

Lovely crispy edges
These aren't any more difficult to make than regular scalloped potatoes but they do have a nicer look on the plate and have the added benefit of each bite being able to contain some of that crispy cooked edge than people like.  They are good for any time not just special meals.

Scalloped Potato Stacks

2lbs potatoes
3 Tbs butter
3 Tbs flour
1 cup milk
Shredded cheddar cheese

Slice potatoes thinly.  I used the 2nd setting on my mandolin and they came out about 1/8th inch thick.  Stack 4 or 5 slices in each cup of a muffin pan.  Make a béchamel sauce using the butter, flour, and milk.  Spoon the béchamel sauce over each stack of potatoes almost filling the cup.  Top each stack with another slice of potato and more béchamel sauce.  Top each stack with shredded cheddar cheese.  Bake at 425F for 25-30 minutes.  Remove the stacks from the cups with a large spoon and serve.
They do well reheated 
I used my seasoned flour to make the béchamel sauce for a little extra flavor.  My seasoned flour has salt, pepper, and garlic powder in it.  I also used smoked cheddar cheese as my topping.  The cheddar was smoked last Spring and has been aging in a vacuum bag in my garage refrigerator.  Cold smoking your own cheese is fairly easy and the results are well worth the time.
This is the original use as a side for Christmas dinner
Give these potato stacks a try and I think you'll be hooked.  Let me know what you think.

Take care,
Uncle T

No comments:

Post a Comment