Tuesday, October 18, 2016

Frog Leg Salad

Sadly, we live in the city so places I can easily get to for frog hunting are nonexistent.  Even though there are small lakes close to us, I've never heard a bull frog.  If I knew there were bull frogs there I would definitely take an evening ride along the shore.


Happily, we have a good international market close by, Grand Mart.  Yes, I know I've mentioned them before but it is a great store.  Some time back, I had gone to pick up a couple of things and I happened to spot frog legs in the freezer section.  I didn't hesitate.


We'd gotten in the habit of eating salads on Tuesday and Friday as part of the Fast Diet.  Even though we are not following that at the present, we still do salads on those days time to time.  After all, a salad is quick and easy to fix.


Frozen frog legs are much easier to work with than fresh frog legs.  Fresh frog legs still have nerve action remaining so the legs tend to kick and jerk while you fry them.  Freezing them eliminates that problem.


To make a frog leg salad, all you need is 3 - 4 pairs of frog legs per person and a salad for each person.  Any salad will work but we prefer a mix of greens rather than a single type.  The salad pictured is leaf lettuce and Romaine from the garden.  When we have them I also add beet greens and sometimes carrot greens.  I generally use a vinaigrette to dress the salad.  Once you have the salad all you have to do is fry the frog legs and dig in.


Fried Frog Legs


3 - 4 pairs per person
2 cups flour
2 Tbs salt
2 Tbs pepper
2 Tbs garlic powder
oil


Add the flour, salt, pepper, and garlic powder to a bowl and mix well.  Work your way up to the measurements of the salt, pepper, and garlic powder to make sure you get the flavor you want.  Heat oil in a skillet, a 1/4 to 1/2 inch deep.  Once the oil is hot, dredge the frog legs in the flour mixture and place in the skillet.  Once you can see the flour is browned on the bottom turn them over to finish frying.  Once browned to your satisfaction, let drain on a rack or on paper towels.  Once all the frog legs are fried and drained, arrange them around the edge of the salad bowl and serve.
Frog Leg Salad
The left over flour mixture can be placed in a ziplock bag and be stored in the freezer until the next time you fry something.  It can also be used to make a seasoned roux for making gravy or a béchamel sauce for making macaroni and cheese.  I always have a bag in the freezer ready to use.


This salad can also be made with a nice fish fillet, I use tilapia and white bass, or a boneless chicken breast.  When we have the chicken breast I slice it thinly and lay on the edge of the salad bowl in its original shape.  Sliced thin the pieces can easily be cut with a fork to desired bite size.


Give this a go sometime to up your salad.  Let me know what you think about it once you've tried it.


Uncle T

No comments:

Post a Comment