Monday, August 17, 2015

Pepperoni and Mushroom Pizza Fettuccine

Yeah, I know, the title is a bit strange.  If you've read much of what I've written you've probably figured out that I do strange fairly well at times.  This is one of them.  On the upside, it is quite tasty.

Previously I detailed making pepperoni and slicing and packaging it.  When using a slicer there are always mis-cuts, trailing pieces, and ends to deal with.  These ends and pieces were diced and packaged for use when I thought of something to do with them.  I was initially thinking of just using them on a pizza but then a craving for some pasta came over me.  I had the diced pepperoni, mushrooms, and some left over marinara sauce in the refrigerator so the pizza fettuccine was born.

Pepperoni and Mushroom Pizza Fettuccine

6 oz diced pepperoni
8 oz mushrooms, sliced
marinara sauce
Fettuccine

Put the diced pepperoni in a skillet and fry until slightly crispy.  Remove from skillet.  Add a bit of olive oil to the pepperoni grease and cook the mushrooms to desired doneness.  Remove from skillet.  When the fettuccine is done, take it out of the water and put into the skillet.  Once all the fettuccine is in the skillet add the pepperoni and mushrooms.  Toss with tongs to mix.  Add the marinara sauce and mix.  Serve and enjoy.

As you see, there is no measurement for the marinara sauce.  That is so you use as much as you wish.  We like just a bit of sauce on our pizza and did this the same way so it would be another layer of flavor rather than being the main flavor.  This is not a terribly inventive recipe to my mind but I've not found anything quite like it doing a quick search online.  Everything I've come across uses half and half with cheese to make a creamy cheese sauce.  To me that defeats the purpose of letting each flavor shine. 

The boy is living with us for a bit until he closes on his new house and had one complaint about this dish.  His complaint was how was he supposed to go back to box pasta after eating fresh.  I offered to give him the pasta dough recipe I use.

Naturally, eating pasta meant I had to make some bread to go along with it.  I used the baguette recipe from Artisanbreadwithstev, found here, https://youtu.be/QBX9S5klgN8.  I wanted a larger loaf so I just divided the dough in half rather than into thirds.  The recipes from this guy that I've made have all turned out well and have been tasty.  Since it only takes about  2 1/2 hours from start to finish you should try it.  It'll be fresh, hot, and won't have the unpronounceable ingredients found in bread from the store.

A plate full of goodness
OK, this post is not as long or involved as some but brevity at times has a quality all its own.  The take away from this one is to do something different with your ingredients.  You don't always have to fix things in the usual manner.  Obviously I'm not concerned with pasta purists or traditionalists.  Have fun in the kitchen and make good food.  Give it a shot.

Uncle T

No comments:

Post a Comment