Tuesday, May 26, 2015

Porky Pancakes

Most days I don't do breakfast.  I may eat a snack mid-morning but that is about it.  I do keep ready made porridge in the office refrigerator for this purpose.  Weekends and holidays are a different story.  I make a good breakfast on Saturday mornings and holiday mornings if I'm not at work.  So we're always looking for something different to add to the breakfast rotation.

One of the Youtube channels I subscribe to is River Cottage.  It is a group in England that do videos on every aspect of food.  They have people that show how to raise a particular crop and others that cook with it.  They also have a master baker and a guy that has written books about charcuterie and processing your own animals.  Needless to say, there are many interesting recipes.  The one that concerns us today is Porky Pancakes.  You can see it here, https://youtu.be/HJ9wYMjpicw.

I bet you haven't thought about a savory pancake.  Their version includes cooking oysters in heavy cream to serve over the top of the pancakes.  Well, oysters are not something that is usually on hand and we didn't feel like getting out the night before to find some.  We figured some good syrup over them would be a nice contrast between the savory and the sweet.  The good wife was quite pleased with the outcome.

This is after putting two pancakes on each of our plates.
 For the bacon, I used a combination of commercially produced bacon and some of my peppered loin bacon.  The commercial bacon was the last package in the freezer so I figured this would be a good use for it.  The bacon not used for the pancakes got cooked up to accompany the pancakes.

Porky Pancakes

Ingredients:

150 - 200 g flour, I used 200 g (this is a bit over 7 oz so you could use a scant cup of flour)
1 egg
1 Tbs baking powder
3 - 4 strips of thick cut bacon
1 onion
pepper
milk
olive oil
butter

Cut the bacon into thin lardons.  Finely dice the onion.  Put a bit of olive oil in a skillet and add the bacon and onion and cook.  The bacon will be cooked by the time the onion is tender.

Put flour, baking powder, and the egg in a bowl.  Start adding milk a little at a time and stirring.  You want a thicker batter than usual for pancakes.  Add a few grinds of pepper or a good pinch if you don't have a grinder.

Add the bacon and onion to the pancake batter and mix it in.  Add a couple of Tbs of butter to the skillet.  Once it is hot start dropping the batter in making about a 4 inch pancake.  Cook both sides till they are nicely brown and remove them to a plate to repeat the process till you've used all the batter.

Serve with good syrup or molasses.

Two nice pancakes and combination of different bacons.
This is a keeper in our breakfast rotation.  About the only thing I'd do different would be to do my prep, on the bacon and onion, the night before.  It doesn't take that long but that way I could get them cooking right away while the oven is preheating and I'm mixing up the batter.

Light, fluffy, and full of flavor.

I'm thinking I could do something similar with some of my venison sausage.  Give this recipe a go and see how you like it.  I think it'll be a repeat on your table too.

Uncle T

1 comment: