Friday, February 19, 2016

Kimchi Pizza

Yes, you read that right, kimchi pizza.  A couple of years ago, someone told me about seeing a kimchi pizza on an episode of Diners, Drive-ins, and Dives.  Thankfully, Food Network puts those shows online so I was able to find it.  Here is the video if you want to watch it, Pizzeria Lola.  The place it comes from is up in Minneapolis which is a bit too far away.  So, if I wanted to have kimchi pizza I'd have to make it myself.


One of the problems that came up was the use of Korean sausage.  I spent a year in Korea courtesy of the US Army and never saw any sausage.  Searching online didn't offer any help other than finding a  recipe for a Korean blood sausage.  I may have to try it because it is very different from European style blood sausage that I usually make.  I decided it was Korean sausage simply because a Korean made it.  So, I watched a couple of times and wrote down the ingredients and started experimenting.  In the end, I came up with what I call Korean sausage that works for the kimchi pizza or as a patty to make a kimchi burger.


Korean Sausage
3 lb ground pork
4 – 5 Tbs Korean hot pepper flakes
3 Tbs(rounded) ground fresh ginger
2 – 3 Tbs ground fresh garlic, minced
2 Tbs kosher salt
1 Tbs black pepper
1 Tbs sugar

Mix well and allow to sit for at least an hour to let the flavors fully meld.




Kimchi Pizza


Pizza dough
8 oz Korean sausage
8 oz diced tomatoes
kimchi, drained and chopped
2 - 3 green onions, cut lengthways
1 - 2 Serrano peppers
sesame oil
toasted sesame seeds
Sriracha sauce


Prepare dough according to your recipe.  Put the diced tomatoes on the pizza.  Pinch off small pieces of the sausage and scatter over the pizza.



Put on a layer of kimchi.


Put on the Serrano pepper and onions.  Drizzle with sesame oil.  It's a little hard to spot the peppers because I rehydrated some of my dried Serrano peppers and the ones I used were red.  The heat still comes through.


Bake according to pizza dough instructions.  Sprinkle with sesame seeds and drizzle with Sriracha sauce.


For a regular crust pizza I use this recipe, 10 minute pizza dough.  I have a baking stone in the oven that heats up  as the oven heats up.  As you can see in the pictures, I use parchment paper on my pizza peel to help the pizza slide off neatly.  I've used flour and cornmeal but they tend to leave a mess in the oven and if you go a little overboard with toppings the pizza can still stick to the peel.  Parchment paper alleviates the problems of a mess to clean up and a sticking pizza.


Naturally, I use kimchi I make.  If you want to make your own the instructions can be found here, Kimchi.  If you don't want to make your own then use any good kimchi.


This is a wonderfully tasty and hot pizza.  If you are a fan of heat then you'll like this pizza.  If you make it let me know what you think.


Uncle T

No comments:

Post a Comment